Saturday, March 21, 2009

Skinny Bitch is an Eye-Opener


I just finished my latest read on Saturday. The book is titled, "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. I admit I saw it about 6 months ago and just looked at it and walked away. I had no clue as to what it this book was even going to be about nor was I the least bit interested in finding out what it was about. My friend Lisa had mentioned it shortly after I had seen it in the store but she never did elaborate on what is was about so I never gave it another thought.
Well, with my quest of trying to lose weight lately I decided to pick it up and find out what this book was all about. To tell you the truth I thought it was about what you turn into when you starve yourself to be thin. Never in a million years did I think it was a book promoting healthy eating and animal cruelty. I'm sure there are quite a few books out there that tell about our low USDA standards for our food and she goes right down the list. Now I guess I could go on and say she is another one of those radical people that are standing on their soap box but she did mention the strict guidelines regarding Japan's food inspections compared to our US inspections that made my ears perk up a bit. Now since I am a Customer Service Rep for an International shipping company, I can say that Japan is one of the countries that have very strict guidelines. Foreign foods are prohibited. Nothing made from or containing any meat, plant, poultry, eggs, seafood or dairy products can go into their country. So, if you know someone in Japan and wanted to pay a fortune to ship them a chocolate candy bar for their birthday, you better think again. Basically what it will boil down to is that you just flushed your good hard earned money down the toilet. Japan customs doesn't care if there is just a microscopic drop of dairy in it b/c it is listed in the ingredients it will be stamped return to sender. I just had an irate customer who flipped her lid b/c she sent over animal feed and b/c it had the word animal in it, it was returned to back to them. She claimed that it didn't contain any animal products but that it was feed for animals. When I asked her what it was made out of she couldn't tell me. I told her it couldn't be made from animals, dairy, poultry, eggs, seafood or plants. So unless it was made from the soil of the earth, there were probably restriction on that as well, there was no way of getting it through customs.
I do have to put a warning out there though. It is not for the faint of heart nor someone who gets easily offended with four letter words. She really lays it out there and sometimes it does get a bit extreme with the cuss words that she throws out here and there. I did enjoy the book and found it a real eye opener so much I am beginning my journey of becoming a vegan-vegetarian. I say vegan-vegetarian b/c last week I still put milk in my coffee which is baaadddd!!!!! I also went to a birthday party where they served italian beef sandwiches and little barbeque cocktail weinies in which I did not take part in but I did eat some cheese. Plus when everyone got the late night munchies and were stuffing their faces with footlong Sonic Coney dogs with cheese I opted for Ben and Jerry's Chubby Hubby ice cream. Hey, a girl’s gotta eat. So far it hasn't been too bad as long as I put soy milk in my coffee and add soy cheese (no added casein or whey)to my salad. No more blue cheese with my walnut and cranberry salad. Sniff Sniff. I would have to say my biggest obstacle at this point is giving up caffeine. My favorite drinks are iced coffee and iced tea. Don't know how I'm going to tackle that mountain. Will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment